How to Move a TV Safely to Your New Home
Moving house can be daunting, especially when it comes to expensive yet breakable items like your television. After all, no one wants to see their entertainment hub reduced to a pile of shattered glass and wires during the move. We’re all for you having those next-level movie nights in your new home, so we’ve got you covered.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through safely packing and moving a TV, whether you have the original box or not. So, let’s press play on your hassle-free TV relocation journey.
How to Move a TV Without the Original Box
Packing and moving your TV is a breeze if you’ve got the original box it came in. But let’s face it, not everyone holds onto bulky packaging. You may have picked up your TV secondhand, and it never had a box to begin with. The good news is that you don’t need the original box for a damage-free move.
What You’ll Need to Move Your TV
Before we discuss how to pack and move a TV safely, Let’s go through the necessary tools and materials you’ll want to gather.
- Blankets or Bubble Wrap. These will serve as your TV’s first line of defence against bumps and scratches.
- Packing Tape. Make sure you have enough strong packing tape to secure your TV and its accessories.
- Cable Ties. These will help with organising and securing cables to prevent damage, kinks, and tangling.
- A TV Screen Protector. If you have one, using it for added protection is a great idea, especially if you’re moving a flat-screen TV with a delicate display. It could be a good time to invest in one, too.
- A Friend. Moving a TV can be a two-person job, so ask a friend to assist you in getting it in and out of the moving vehicle.
- A Moving Dolly or Trolley. This will make maneuvering your TV much smoother.
5 Steps to Safely Pack and Move a TV
As home removalists, we thought we’d share some expert tips on how to move a TV. A lot goes into protecting the TV screen, wrapping the TV, and securing cables and accessories. If you’re not using professional removalist services, you’ll need a friend to give you a hand to help you get the TV to the new place or secure storage in one piece. Here are the steps to move a TV safely.
Step 1: Power Down
Turn off and unplug your TV. Give it time to cool down, especially if it’s recently been used. Disconnect any accessories, such as cables, remotes, and anything else connected to the TV.
Step 2: Protect the TV Screen
Cover the TV with a blanket. The best way to do this is to lay a soft blanket on a flat surface, such as a table or the floor, and then carefully place the TV face down on the blanket.
Step 3: Wrap and Secure
Gently wrap the TV with another blanket or bubble wrap. Make sure it’s snug but not too tight. Use packing tape to keep the wrap in place. Be cautious not to tape directly onto the TV’s screen.
Step 4: Secure Cables and Accessories
Use cable ties to bundle and secure the TV’s cables and accessories. This prevents them from getting tangled, damaged, or caught on things during transit. Place cables, remotes, and other accessories in a small box or bag and label it.
Step 5: Move with Care
As mentioned earlier, moving a TV is a two-person job. Have a friend assist you in lifting and carrying the TV. Or, if you have one, use a dolly or trolley. Once inside the vehicle, ensure the TV is securely fastened and won’t shift during the trip to the new place.
Pro Tips on How to Pack a TV Safely
Moving, especially when it involves large, expensive devices, isn’t a task many of us look forward to. It can be rather stressful both leading up to the big move and during it, and all that packing and unpacking can be exhausting.
However, by incorporating some strategic planning and making thoughtful choices, the moving process can go from being a nerve-wracking experience to an absolute breeze. It can even become somewhat enjoyable. These professional moving tips will help set you up for success:
- Measure Doorways. Before moving the TV, and any other large appliance or piece of furniture for that matter, measure doorways and corridors to ensure you can move through without any issues.
- Label Fragile. Clearly mark boxes and packed items you’re worried about as “Fragile” to alert friends and movers to handle them with care.
- Avoid Extreme Temperatures. If possible, avoid moving in extreme temperatures. This isn’t just for your comfort. Exposing your TV to such temperatures during the move can damage sensitive components.
- Check Insurance. Confirm with your moving company whether your TV is covered by their removals insurance in case of missteps or mishaps.
- Label and Organise. Clearly label your boxes with their contents and the room they belong to. Organising your belongings this way makes unpacking at your new place much more efficient and less stressful. We’re all about a smooth move.
- Choose the Right Moving Boxes. Stock up on sturdy, appropriately-sized moving boxes to transport your TV accessories and fragile items like remotes, cables, and stands. These packed boxes should be well-padded to prevent any shifting or damage during transit.
Don’t Forget to Celebrate a Successful TV Move
Moving your TV safely doesn’t have to be a nerve-wracking experience. With the right tools, careful preparation, and a helping hand, your beloved television will arrive at its new abode in perfect condition. And what better way to settle into your new home than with a cosy movie night!
So whether you have the original box or not, the key is to prioritise the safety of your TV and other significant breakables above all else. Gather your supplies, follow our outlined steps, and you’ll be well on your way to a smooth and secure TV moving experience.
Now that you know how to move a TV without the original box, you can confidently approach your move, knowing that your prized possession is in good hands. For professional removalist services to help you move all your furniture safetely and efficiently, contact Smoothmoves today. Happy moving!